Shoreline Restoration and pump dredging is here!
Shoreline Restoration and Pond Dredging:
Where Dragonfly Pond Works Refreshes and Restores Shorelines
RALEIGH, N.C. — Dragonfly Pond Works (DPW), an environmental services firm specializing in lake, pond, and shore management and reconstruction, is an industry innovator in natural shoreline restoration. We bring affordable ecological solutions to clients in the southeast and Mid-Atlantic.
- Did you receive a notice that your shoreline is out of compliance?
Shoreline restoration means conforming to local rules and regulations. This includes complying with your pond or lake’s originally designed and permitted slopes and grades. We refresh ponds by restoring a compliant shoreline, a healthy resource, and a pleasing viewscape.
- Is your pond too shallow? Are reeds growing where you used to have water?
Maintaining your water resource means addressing the natural processes of erosion and siltation.
- Does your lake’s shoreline seem like it’s being eaten away? Is the water not as clear as it once was?
Siltation is easily overlooked. So is runoff. You may not even notice that your pond’s depth, slopes, and grades are steadily eroding. Our shoreline restoration service will revive your lake or pond.
- For projects where silt has incrementally filled in a pond, the lightweight terraforming tool called the “Dino 6 Sediment Removal System” is a portable dredge that is highly maneuverable.
The Dino 6 is the tool that restores ponds and lakes to their permitted depths and slopes. This dredge features a six-foot cutter head that enables us to remove growth and silt uniformly, meaning the bottom of your pond will have a consistent grade. Driven by a submersible pump, the dredge’s six-inch-diameter hydraulic discharge hose transfers up to 1,800 gallons of sludge per minute. The Dino 6’s minimalist footprint minimizes damage to the shoreline, making it ideal for detention ponds, golf courses, lagoons, canals, and HOA lakes.
- For projects where DPW needs to remove sand, silt, and sludge in confined spaces or smaller pond and canals, the Piranha dredge is the perfect alternative.
Pump dredging and shoreline restoration needs are also met with our Piranha. The Piranha moves 10-40 cubic yards of material per hour. This transfer rate also makes the Piranha perfect for filling geotextile dewatering bags we call “silt socks” used to rebuild your shoreline. Like the Dino 6, it readily launches from the shoreline, making it easy to reach ponds from between houses in developments where access is limited.
See the video here:
Shoreline Restoration Process:
- The base bag is staked to the shoreline with rope and will create the new base for your shoreline.
2. The middle tubes are placed on top of the base tube and tied into the shore with stakes. The middle tubes are added to create vertical height and to recreate an escarpment with a proper ratio.
3. The top tube is called the sacrificial tube, because once filled it will be split open and graded to provide a base for a littoral shelf or sod to complete the new shoreline. The dredged material is re-used in the shoreline restoration process.
The above pictures from a dredging contract completed in Naples, Florida. The sacrificial tube has been open and graded down the slope toward the water and back up the slope to create a cleaner, safer new shoreline.
We complete shoreline restoration projects in Sarasota, Naples, Fort Myers, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Wilmington, Charleston and Atlanta. Let us know if we can help you with your next project.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive informative, engaging, and exciting news delivered right to your inbox!
Shoreline Restoration and More!
Dragonfly Pond Works helps clients discover their sanctuary. We are an environmental services company that customizes water beautification solutions, creating natural pond, lake, and wetland refuges for residents, property owners, and community members to enjoy. Our practices work in harmony with nature, but also within your budget.
As experienced specialists in pond and lake management, our designs transform retention ponds, sand filters, stormwater basins, underground detention facilities, and other types of aquatic systems into healthy and integrated waterscapes.
From Maryland to Florida, Dragonfly Pond Works serves clients throughout the mid-Atlantic region, including corporate, commercial, and public accounts, residential customers, and homeowner associations. We strive to develop long-term relationships based on quality work, timely service, cost efficiency, and of course, trust. Please contact us to learn how we can help you create a beautiful space and sanctuary.